Mason's Creek Olive Grove
Mason's Creek is a small producer of an exquisite extra virgin olive oil that we think is one of the Bellarine's best-kept secrets. Their dry-grown trees differentiate them from most other growers: the trees are not irrigated, but rely on natural rainfall. They yield less fruit, but Mason's Creek believe the compensation is a concentration of flavour and improved quality.
The quality is assured because they have qualified for The Australian Olive Association's Code of Practice certification and have won medals at the National Extra Virgin Olive Oil shows.
They manage their 1200 grove in the most environmentally-friendly and sustainable way they can by:
- Releasing ladybirds to eat scale
- Painting horticultural glue around the trunks to stop ants farming the scale
- Not irrigating - relying on natural rainfall
- Controlling weeds by mulching instead of poisoning
- Applying biological crop nutrition
- Applying untreated animal manure