Captain Bower served as a Port Phillip sea pilot upon his arrival in the Colony of Victoria in 1853. In 1876 he built 'Warraine' on the Pilot's Row in Gellibrand Street Queenscliff, which is now 'The Pilots House B & B'. As a result, it is located in the centre of town facing the parkland overlooking Port Phillip. It is only a block from the fine restaurants, cafes, shops and Fort, for which historic Queenscliff is famed.
With high ceilings, 1890 wallpaper friezes, original ceiling roses and fireplaces, 'The Pilots House' has been carefully restored and renovated. In summer it is cooled by sea breezes and centrally heated in winter. It caters for just six guests in three double rooms each with ensuite facilities and television/videos. A glassed in verandah overlooks a walled courtyard where guests can read, enjoy the sunshine, a drink, a snack, or a cup of tea or coffee.
A hearty breakfast initially comprising fresh fruits and cereals followed by cooked selections is served in the spacious sitting room provided exclusively for guests. A range of games, videos and music is available when guests no longer seek the pleasure of the beaches, scenic walks, golf, fishing, diving and other sporting and outdoor attractions available in Queenscliff.
The facilities, hospitality and comfort provided at 'The Pilots House' has resulted in a 'Four and a half star' AAA/RACV rating. Off street parking is available if required. Unfortunately, children cannot be accommodated. 'The Pilots House' does not allow smoking inside the premises.