04 June 2020
TOP 6 REASONS TO EXPERIENCE THE GREAT OCEAN WALKby Jonathan Ingram
I’ve been running hiking, camping and wine tours throughout Victoria since November 2015 and in that time I’m continually surprised by how few guests enjoy the Great Ocean Walk trail from Apollo Bay to the 12 Apostles. The trail is obviously overshadowed by the incredible Great Ocean Road, but for those travellers who have more time then I think it’s an incredible experience.
Top reasons to enjoy the Great Ocean Walk:
1. The trail has numerous starting and exit points so it’s achievable for anyone and you don’t have to carry a heavy pack.
2. The 32km section from Blanket Bay to Johanna Beach is arguably Victoria’s best overnight hike for beginners.
3. It’s one of the few trails in Victoria where you can enjoy walking along empty beaches.
4. There are great opportunities to spot koala’s, echnida’s, wallabies and birdlife along the trail.
5. You can learn about the rich maritime history of the region at the Cape Otway Lightstation and Wreck Beach which adds another layer to the experience.
6. Devil’s Kitchen Campground is one of the best secluded campgrounds in the whole of Victoria.
When to enjoy the Great Ocean Walk:
- The Great Ocean Walk is best enjoyed between October/November and March/April. Taking advantage of daylight savings and the shoulder seasons typically means you are walking in cooler conditions and have longer days to enjoy the trail.
My business Good Times Tours organises small private group walking tours (max 11 guests) of the Great Ocean Walk departing from Melbourne and surrounding areas. We typically utilise camping with all equipment provided to ensure the experience is affordable. Everything is done for you i.e. cooking, camp setup etc. so all you have to do is enjoy the trail. One advantage of being a small owner/operated business is that we are flexible with utilising accommodation, adding in local food and wine experiences and including walks in the Otways etc. if you want a more tailored experience.
Tap us on Instagram!