SWEET AND DELICIOUS...WHERE TO PICK YOUR OWN BERRIESby GREAT OCEAN ROAD
Each season brings it's own delights to the Great Ocean Road region, particularly when it comes to fresh produce!
Local cafes and restaurants take advantage of the seasonal offerings, incorporating the different types of produce into their evolving menus.
But, in summer and autumn, the public can go berry picking and experience first hand the luscious offerings of a rich and fertile land in and around the Otways.
Six reasons why you should go berry picking
- You can experience the sensation of a berry in its freshest form - the perfume and taste is just divine!
- You can do it on your own, with a friend, or the entire family.
- It gets everyone outside in the fresh air; especially the kids - they can run wild!
- Kids get to understand where berries come from and how produce is harvested.
- You're supporting local business.
- Fresh berries last longer, so you can take some home with you. Most farms also make berry related food products, so you can pick up some gifts whilst you're at it!
Our local berry farms
1. Berry World - Timboon
You can pick boysenberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. There's a family picnic area and tea rooms, too.
These guys grow raspberries, brambleberries, currants, jostaberries, gooseberries and strawberries. They also serve award-winning cider and berry gin. Make a weekend of it and stay at the on-site accommodation, which is dog friendly.
3. Gentle Annie Berry Gardens - Pennyroyal
These pick-your-own berry gardens (and some vegetables, too!) is open in spring, but the licensed farmhouse cafe/restaurant and produce shop are open all year. Just 20 minutes from Lorne, it's a great day trip for the family.
Tag us berry picking on Instagram!