17 December 2018
FIRST TIME GREAT OCEAN ROAD RUNNING FESTIVALby GREAT OCEAN ROAD
Imagine Elizabeth Lim's delight when she won a trip to the Great Ocean Road to enter one of the most scenic running races in the world...
Elizabeth Lim and her partner from Singapore were the lucky winners of a competition sponsored by IMG, Visit Victoria and Great Ocean Road Regional Tourism to experience the Great Ocean Road Running Festival in 2018. Read about her awesome adventure here
Here are some highlights from her time on the Great Ocean Road...
To be honest, this was the first time I have heard about this Great Ocean Road Running Festival. It really was an unforgettable experience for my husband and I to look back on. We met in Melbourne while studying, and have driven up to the Great Ocean Road before, but I don't think we would see Great Ocean Road quite the same again.
The run was overall well planned and we really enjoyed it,the collection of warm clothing after the run was well organized, and directions for the shuttle bus back to Lorne were also clear.
We were flown in two days before the marathon and got to settle ourselves in, and we were very thankful for the special arrangements made by the Great Ocean Road Resort for a packed breakfast on the day of the marathon.
As for the other parts of Great Ocean Road that we travelled to, the main highlights for us were the following:
- 12 Apostles Helicopter Scenic Flight for 2 - This was another wonderful experience that we never thought we would have gone for. We couldn't really hear what the pilot was saying, but the view of the 12 Apostles from above was rather refreshing. I have been to Port Campbell twice before, but was still wow-ed away as we passed the Apostles overhead.
- Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie & Ice Creamery - I was amazed by the wide range of products sold there. It was a nice place to pop by and we were saying that it is a great stopover if we were driving all the way to Port Campbell for the apostles
- Flagstaff Hill Lighthouse Lodge light show - They included a light show for us in the accommodation, and we didn't really know what to expect. We were very impressed by the light/water show, and temporarily forgot the cold!
- Otway Fly treetop adventures - we did enjoy the walk as a form of recovery after the run.
- Otway Ecotours Platypus Canoe Tour - This was the first time we both saw platypus (we weren't actually expecting to really get to see it because they always seem to be hiding!) so that itself is already a big plus point. Even if we didn't see it though, Lake Elizabeth was beautiful.