22 April 2018
A DAY IN PORTLANDby GREAT OCEAN ROAD
A day in Portland
Discover Portland, take a step off the edge of the earth and visit the place where the beach meets the deep and the oceans biggest fish, swells and whales can be experienced from the breakwater. Pack some comfortable walking shoes, a water bottle and your camera! Let us show you around Portland.
- Petrified Forrest and Blowholes - From Portland, take the drive to Cape Bridge Water (25 minutes) to see the Petrified Forrest and Blowholes.
- Great South West Walk – a 250km trek which weaves through the communities of Portland, Cape Bridgewater and Nelson, across the capes of Discovery Bay and trailing the Glenelg River, is one of the region’s biggest tourist attractions. Don’t feel you need to tackle the full 250km, select a small section and take in the spectacular views.
- Seals by the Sea Tour – take the three minute journey across the seas to visit the seal colony, an abundant of playful Australian and New Zealand fur seals. Make sure you call him if possible to book in your spot, this is one not to be missed!
- Cape Nelson Lighthouse – head back into Portland to visit the Cape Nelson Lighthouse. Perhaps stop for a cup of tea and a light snack before your guided tour from the local guides. Or perhaps you plan on staying the night – book head and stay the night!
- Enchanted Forrest – on your way back from the Cape Nelson Lighthouse stop in to explore the Enchanted Forrest. Take a moment to take in nature at its best.
Have a little more time to explore Portland? Add these to your list –
- Portland Strawberry Farm – hand pick your strawberries to take home or browse the fresh produce
- Portland Cable Tram – discover Portland from the comfort of a cable tram. The friendly tour guides will show you the secrets of Portland
- Whale watching – depending on the season, Portland is renowned for its visiting whales, you just never no your luck!