For the most comforting and least complicated holiday choosing to travel local can be a wonderful option. There’s no need to deal with passports, border controls, or driving on the opposite side of the road.
If you have converted to the idea of local travel we have prepared our best-of guide below. In it, you can find local options for trips and day trips.
Short Local Day Trips from Melbourne
If you’re in Greater Melbourne or Victoria and searching for “local day trips near me”, the Great Ocean Road region has you covered! The spectacular start of the road itself is just an hour and 15-minute drive from Melbourne’s CBD. We have tons of options for day-trips (but we always suggest you stay a bit longer to experience as much as you can). Here are a few recommendations:
- Torquay: the centre of Aussie surf culture has beautiful family-friendly beaches, a great shopping precinct, the famous Bells Beach and a Surf World Museum.
- Anglesea: this modest town is a haven for nature including rare orchids and native flowers during spring. It has parks, gardens and kangaroos that lounge on the local golf course. There are river activities as well as delicious food and drink options.
- Aireys Inlet: this coastal hamlet boasts a pretty lighthouse with a café serving scones nearby. It has beaches for both swimming and surfing. Locals tip: one of the bonuses of a day-trip here is that you get to enjoy more views from the road itself.
Longer Local Trips from Melbourne
The Great Ocean Road isn’t just a top spot for day trips but is also fantastic for longer stays. If you’re based in the Greater Melbourne Region and are looking for “local trips near me” why not consider some time-out in:
- Portland: get as far away from Melbourne as you can while staying in a delightful Victorian town. Portland is a great spot for access to all the amenities of a regional hub as well as beautiful beach and inland walks. Its food and drink options include the freshest of seafood!
- Johanna: for a much quieter option consider the hamlet of Johanna. This is a place of calming rolling hills and a rugged coastline. Its beach is popular for surfing, camping, walking and fishing.