Nothing beats a wintery ocean view from somewhere cosy, a warm hinterland retreat or getting out to see the spectacular waterfalls. The Great Ocean Road has everything for your winter getaway. If you’re asking, ‘Where should I go in winter in Victoria?’ or even, ‘Where should I go in Winter in Melbourne?’ then read on.
What Can I Do in Winter on the Great Ocean Road?
Here are some of our best winter attractions and destinations within easy reach of Melbourne:
- Start at Torquay and spend an entire getaway taking leisurely trips to farms, providores, cafes, restaurants, cellar doors, breweries, fish-and-chipperies and even ice cream makers (yes! see four creative ways to eat ice cream in winter!)
- Go bushwalking in the Great Otway National Park which boasts a huge collection of walking tracks and trails across diverse terrains like cliff tops, coasts, rainforest and bush trails.
3. Choose a cosy stay with an open fire overlooking the ocean at Torquay, Anglesea, Aireys Inlet or Lorne (all within an easy drive from Melbourne). Find the perfect spot using our Where to Stay search.
4. Plan to unwind at our wealth of Spas and Retreats.
5. See our wildlife including the kangaroos and wallabies munching the lawns at the Anglesea Golf Course!
What is the Best Time to Visit the Great Ocean Road?
Because our climate is fairly moderate (ie we don’t get seasonal monsoons or snowstorms) weather-wise you can have an enjoyable visit at any time of the year. So to the question, ‘Where should I go in winter in Victoria?’ – the answer is the Great Ocean Road region.