Hastings Ostrich Farm
A leader in ostrich breeding, Hastings Ostrich Farm exports ostriches and ostrich goods all over the world. Scheduled tours of the farm run every Sunday from November-May at 11am and 1:30pm, departing from The Vault retail store on Main Street Winchelsea. Bookings are essential.
Winchelsea and District Historical Society
The Historical Records Centre boasts a collection of written material, photographs, maps, oral history tapes and posters relating to the history of Winchelsea and its district. Special features include an extensive array of Marjorie Lawrence memorabilia, local indigenous artefacts and microfiche collections of former Shire of Winchelsea notebooks and cemetery lists. The Society's rooms in the former Shire Office are open every Wednesday afternoon 1:30 - 5:00 pm or by appointment; entry is free. Ph: (03) 5267 2494
Winchelsea Heritage Trail
Spending an afternoon to explore the Winchelsea Heritage Trail is well worth it.
The trail commences at the Winchelsea Visitor Centre and includes a series of landmarks in and around the township.
Barwon Park, The Globe Theatre, Winchlesea Railway Station and the triple-arched bluestone bridge are highlights.
Barwon Park Mansion
Built in 1871 the lavish bluestone Barwon Park Mansion is a must see when in Winchelsea.
Tours operate on Wednesday and Sundays and the opulent manor and gardens play host to various functions and events.
Built by Thomas Austin, famous for introducing the rabbit to Australia!
Near the Winchelsea Hotel in the centre of town, a 3-span bluestone arch bridge (1867) folds over the Barwon River.
The bridge is considered one of the most impressive stone structures in Victoria.
Winchelsea Growers and Makers Market
This market is run by volunteers from the community group Growing Winchelsea Inc. Buy directly from producers, processors and local artisans who sell their goods direct to the public near the source of origin. The market is a social celebration of all things good - food, family, friends, and conversation.
First Sunday of every month (Spring-Autumn), 9am to 1pm on the Winchelsea Bridge
Marjorie Lawrence Trail
Take a drive around the historic Marjorie Lawrence Trail to explore the life of one of the world’s most adored dramatic sopranos. Born in Dean’s Marsh, Marjorie found world fame in New York in 1935. Copies of the trail map can be obtained from the Winchelsea Visitor Information Centre.
Country Dahlia's Farm
Country Dahlias offers Australia’s largest collection of top quality Dahlias. Spread across two acres, the garden has over 20,000 bushes and approximately 2,250 different types! Visit during March and April Australia’s each year - bring a picnic lunch with you and enjoy the surrounds. Tea and coffee are available.
Kilwarrie Cottage Rose Garden
This historic bluestone cottage has a rose arbour and gardens with over 450 varieties of beautiful roses. Group bookings welcome (including Christmas breakups) by appointment.
Phone 0407 672 413
DISCOVER THINGS TO DO IN WINCHELSEA
Warilda Spa by Denise Pinot
The best journey in life is the journey back to yourself. Take a break and find your way to visit Warilda Spa By Denise Pinot in the beautiful, boutique Day...
Pondalowie is a family-owned, award-winning winery based at Bambra, in the beautiful Otways Hinterland and just 30 minutes from the Great Ocean Road.
Kiana Park Cattery
Kiana Park Cattery offer the utmost care for your pets so you can have a relaxing holiday, knowing they are in safe hands. Family owned and they love cats.
Hillview Farm 5 Star Boarding Cattery
Situated conveniently on the Princes Highway at the gateway to the Otways and Great Ocean Road at Birregurra, the multi-award winning Hillview Farm 5 Star Boarding Cattery offers five star...
Feeling all too inadequate after entertaining the visiting Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, at their more modest single-storey homestead, prominent Western District squatter Thomas Austin and wife Elizabeth set to...
Must Do's in Winchelsea
• Walks along the Barwon River - early morning walkers have, on occasion, spotted a platypus close to the bridge.
• Picnic on the riverbank – utilise the picnic tables, toilet facilities and an undercover BBQ area.
• Fishing - fishing is popular in this section of the Barwon River, with brown trout, redfin and eels commonly caught nearby. Try the Barwon River, Wurdiboluc Reservoir and Lake Modewarre.
• Winchelsea Golf Club – an interesting nine hole course with grass greens and one of the best par 3’s in the district, called the ‘quarry hole’. Location: Anderson Street, Winchelsea, Phone: (03) 5267 2660
• Winchelsea Swimming Pool – Open daily 12pm-6pm between December-March. Location: Barwon Terrace, Winchelsea - Phone: (03) 5267 2027
• Trail Bike Riding – Start from Paddys Swamp Trail Bike Visitor Area for a large network of forest roads and tracks suitable for trail bike riding. Toilets, picnic shelter and an information board available on site. Location: 10km South of Winchelsea, on Paddy's Swamp Road, Bambra. Check the More to Explore App for more information.
• Austin St Walking loop Trail – Start from Run Rabbit Run Café and walk along Austin St to the Barwon River walking track, then head back into town soaking in the beautiful flora and fauna of the area.